Saturday, July 30, 2011

Max turns 19 months & Miya is a Monkey

Max is now 19 months old and his verbal development is coming along. He knows how to say "hi" when he greets and "bye" when leaving. "No" with a wild shake is daily occurence. Everything is a "no." One of the funny word association he has developed is "chee" when he sees me taking a picture of him. Funny. "Up" and "Go" are another funny additions to his vocab.
Max is becoming my little monkey, learning to climb on everything. I think from watching Miya, he's figured out to use stools to elevate himself. He tries to use our drawer handles as a ladder to get to the countertop. I have resorted to leaving him on the kitchen counter when making dinner. I know it sounds dangerous, but I don't know what else to do until Troy gets home. He's all over me when we get home. He wants some momma love.. haha.
Another development is that he refuses to sit in his high chair with the tray. Max gets fussy, whiney, twisting his body every which way to trying to wiggle himself out of the chair. I assumed he was done with his meal. Instead he wanted to sit on our laps at the table. I got tired of this habit he developed, so I pulled off the tray and rolled the high chair up to the table. Max loved it! I guess he wants to be big boy and feed himself. Yeah... we are at that stage, which is great, but such a MESS!! Especially spaghetti night, I strip him down to his daper because his dinner is EVERYWHERE. I guess he's becoming a big boy.

I swear Max has a love/ hate relationship with Miya. On one hand, he can't help himself to copy her and see what she is always up to. Especially with snacks. Max knows she will share with him if he comes up to her nicely. If it is something Miya does not want to share, she runs to her room and shuts the door. Smart girl.
I forget once "babies" turn 18 months how much easier it gets with communication. Max has become a lot more interactive and communication is growing stronger. When I ask him to clean up he will start putting his books back in the shelf, put his trains back in the bins, etc. Sometimes I am shocked and how much he understands. I guess I am not talking to a wall anymore.. haha.
I find it so funny how mother nature works. Miya and Max come from the same gene pool but so different in their disposition. Miya very introverted and has a very difficult time warming to new people and is very scared to be left alone in a room in OUR house. How crazy is that?? Yes, she is usually a good girl but stubborn (troy?), so compliant and helpful and always trying to be a big girl to do things on her own. After bath, she wants me to leave the room. Miya wants to drain the water, climb out of the tub, dry herself, lotion herself, put on her night gown and brush her hair & teeth. Very self-motivated and always observing others.
Max.. so affectionate, playful and loud. So very obvious when he is so happy to see you, comes "running" up and gives a big hug and stomps his feet with delight. He's our smiley little monkey, who has quite the competitive side and temper, yet so easy going and always goes with the flow. People always comment on how happy he seems. A little hesitant at first with new people or new places, but give him a few minutes and off he will go. Every transition he has had to make was very minimal in effort, bottle to cup, sleep training, sit in the car seat for long rides, etc. He has started to let us know when he has gone "poo poo." Do I hear potty training in the near future???
As previously mentioned, things are finally clicking with Max during the last couple of months, walking, climbing, and even eating with utensils! I think he's right handed, but sometimes he prefers to use his left hand when using utensils. Hmm confusing. He uses the fork a little better than spoon. I gave up on the toddler utensils and discovered that he can use the bigger kid sized utensils MUCH better.

Miya has become my big monkey girl and loves the monkey bars. she has learned to swing from one bar to another and even skipping one bar. She has also figured how to pull her legs up to the bars to hang upside down, while holding on with her arms. I'm sure it will be a matter of time before she lets go with her arms and is completely upside down. Like her buddies at preschool, Miya has figured how to climb on top of the bars, to grab a sliding pole and slide all the way down.
At a friends (Maya) birthday party, we went to this great park that I did not know existed. So close to our house, only 10 min away! I thought the play structure was really cool and appropriate for preschoolers. There was this twisty slide, which did not go well (pics above) and she ended up completely freaked out. Guess she's too little. I was really proud that Miya was able to do a lot of the structures, climbing on the chain ladder, sliding pole, slides, rock climbing and she wasn't that scared. So proud of my little girl.

No comments: