Monday, September 30, 2013

PM Session and Liming McQueen

 School is in full session.  Similar to K, first grade is broken up into two different groups, AM & PM session.  AM session goes from 8:30 - 1:45 and PM is from 9:30 -3:00.  During Back to School night, the teacher explains that the first few weeks are used to  assess reading levels and breaks them up accordingly.  Miya has been assigned to the PM session.  I have enrolled her in Spanish morning class then off to First grade she goes.  I can't help to wonder if the PM is less or more advanced reader?  In the end it doesn't really matter but I would like to know.

Miya has joined soccer again but is assigned to a different coach and team vs last year.  Most of her teammates seemed to be from 2nd grade, the same girls from her softball team.   Although most of her friends are on a different team.  I guess it doesn't matter in the end.  Miya is starting to get the hang out soccer and made 3 goals, but I am not 100% sure soccer will be a long term sport for her.   I would like to introduce tennis this school year which seems to have piqued her interest.

We have gone to a couple of sporting events including a Giants game and an A's game.  I think its important for kids to be involved with organized sports game, I think it gives them a sense on confidence.  Eh who knows.

Miya has lost a 3rd tooth, looking for like a jack-o-latern, learning to freestyle with breathing techniques, and has expressed her favorite days of the week are Tuesday (knitting class) and Wednesday (hot lunch).

Since Disneyland, Max is evenly more in love with "liming mcqueen" and mater.  I guess Disneyland has made a bigger impression than I thought.  He constantly talks about Disneyland the hotel and asks when we can go back.
Not sure how he learned this, but he has learned NASCAR drivers and which cars they drive... uh who taught him that???  Troy???  NASCAR is a favorite topic for Max and constantly imitates racing car sounds.

We have reduced the ipad time, and noticed that his speech has improved with less slurring.  Could be coincidental but will take it.  We are working on how to hold a pen the proper way and not the cave man method where he grips the pen with the whole hand and just scribbles.  I don't think he's the academic kind.  My favorite word with Max is two-digger = together.  Brings me back to Miya, where she use to say "two -legger."  Love this age.

No comments: