Sunday, January 30, 2011

Max is 13 months old!

It has been awhile since my last post, where does the time go? Life seems to be more chaotic and time just slips by.

Max has turned 13 months and some of his latest developments are... he finally got his first tooth! Probably explains the massive drool and fussiness. He is a big drooler in general and we continue to use 3-4 bibs a day. He has become more fluid with his crawling, but is still a slow crawler. I guess he is not in a hurry. He has figured out how to pull himself up to his feet with the dishwasher door, when opened. With all other things, only pulls himself up to his knees and scoots with his knees. The doc has mentioned that he should be saying his first word around 12 months, not seeing/hearing anything close. Not too worried because Miya did not say her first word until after 13-14 months. Although not speaking much, Max definitely is starting to understands commands, like "no, don't touch this/ that." Max is quite the observer, especially with Miya. He is always peeking around the corner or furniture to see what Miya is doing, such the curious little monkey.
The past few weeks, we noticed that Max is becoming much more social; smiling, trying to speak while holding up an object and waving hi/bye. With all the birthday and Christmas toy presents, he's finally enjoying them! We set them up all around living room and moves from one "station" to another. Max enjoys music and if there is a certain melody, he starts bobbing to the beat or if he really something he's eating, he bobs his head up and down, as if he was saying "yes yes yes." Max has one thing that REALLY frustratees me, is his naps. I don't know what it is, but he is a terrible napper, but a really good night sleeper. I would say Max naps 30 min in the morning and 45 min - 1 hr in the afternoon, and sleeps solid 11 hrs at night. I guess if I had to pick one or the other, I would prefer a good night sleeper. I swear Miya was napping 3 hrs (1 hrs morning and 2 hr afternoon) at this age.


These past couple of days, Max has definitely making more effort to stand on his own. Finally! He definitely likes to use something low to prop himself in an erect position, like a lap, dishwasher rack (lower) and slowly climbs his way up. Today I actually witnessed him taking two small cruising steps and tried to stand on his own for one quick second. Slow developer, some progress is better than no progress.

Unfortunately I still can't get him to drink from a straw nor the only cold food he will eat is yogurt. Everything else, including fruit has to be room temperature or warmer. So annoying! So darn picky! Max will be my picky eater. Miya on the other hand, likes her food room temperature or colder. Weird. Same gene pool, two different personalities.

Miya continues to interact with Max well. She does get annoyed with him when he starts to get in her face especially with food. Miya has learned to either stand up where he can't reach her or put items out of his reach. Geez, she is in for a surprise, once he is able to start walking or climbing.
Miya started gymnastic classes and she seems to enjoy the class 80% of the time. It never fails, Miya cried 8 out of the 10 classes because of circle/stretching time. During this time, the kids each say their name and whatever their favorite food/activity. When the focus is all on her, she has a melt down and cries for mommy. So embarrassing. Ugh. This last class, she did really well and didn't get emotional because one of the girls from her preschool was in her class. I realized it was the thought of not knowing anyone which made her scared. I don't blame her, I'm a little bit of the same way. Once circle time is over, she loves doing all the stations, especially swing herself and climbing.


Miya continues to practice writing her first name, but has issues with "y." I never thought how difficult some of the letters were, angling the lines the right direction, etc. This school year, we have noticed Miya's interests lean towards math. She enjoys learning addition. Using her fingers, so we can't use a number bigger than five.


Luckily, Miya continues to enjoy preschool, she has a clique which include, Josie (BFF), Melina, Maya, Tesla. Because of the odd number, someone is always left out. One day, Miya mentioned that she couldn't go to Maya's house because Miya wasn't invited and she was really sad. I felt sad for her and wondered if Miya was always the odd man out? From speaking to another mom, she mentioned that sometimes Miya says so-and-so can't join them at the table. Ok, so they are all mean to each other. Great... mean girl language start at 4?

No comments: